paradice travel agency
|Densidad (2004)||169,28 hab/Km²|
|Nucleos de población||11|
Cala Ratjada belongs to the municipality of Capdepera, a small town in the north-eastern coast of the island, in the Llevant area. The area has many small bays such as Cala Ratjada, Cala Mesquida, Canyamel and Font de sa Cala, that are well known to tourists. One of the most famous landmarks in Capdepera is the fortress, beautifully poised on a hilltop that reigns over the village.
In the year 1300, King Jaime II ordered 12 villages to be built in Mallorca, one of which was close to a place called ‘Cap de la pedra’ or ‘head of the stone’ and is today called Capdepera. A castle was later built to unite the peoples of this area. The construction of the fort was completed later in the 1300s.
The majority of the local inhabitants however were not in favour of leaving their fields to live inside the castle fortress, and were therefore ordered to spend nights in the fortress. In the beginning about 50 houses were constructed and King Sanç I offered a 100 “sueldos” to each family that agreed to live inside the fortress. Back then, the village was a part of Arta and there were no more than a 100 families.
The village church was enlarged in the 16th and 18th centuries and the image of Christ is believed to be from the 14th or 15th century. The figure of the Virgin of Hope made in gothic style is not to be missed. She has been the patron saint of Capdepera since the 16th century.
With the arrival of the Bourbons to the throne in 1715, a professional army was formed to protect the village.
But with the conquest of Argel by the French, piracy came to an end and the military role of capdepera changed. The army was disbanded and abandoned the fortress. Inhabitants began to build larger and more comfortable houses outside the fortress. By the end of the 18th century, there were only 25 houses inside the fortress but more than 200 houses outside it. In 1856 the ownership of the fortress was given to Josep Quint Zaforteza. Then in 1983 it was bought by the city council and made into public property.
Harbour of Cala Ratjada
The last monk seal was caught in the 50s between Menorca and Mallorca by Colau Nadas, the patron of Cala Ratjada.
Copyright © por Bellavista Hotel & Spa. Derechos Reservados.